Mystery Gift is an option on the home menu allowing you to obtain Pokémon or Avatars with special codes found on Sam's site. All of the public giveaways have been Pokémon or Avatars.
Sam has stated that no new Mystery Gifts will be released.
How To Receive
To receive a Mystery gift, you will need a certain code; this code can be found out by solving a puzzle. Then enter "Mystery Gift" on the game menu and type or paste the code in. Then click the "Enter Code" button. Mystery Gift codes can be used more than once to receive the gift multiple times. Codes are not case sensitive.
You can also find the weekly code on the Sam & Dan Games blog. There are also periodic giveaways from Sam's twitter that you can win by answering questions. Make sure you are using the correct version of PTD to input the code, or else it won't work.
|v0.8 - v1.0|
- expire (verb): Cease to be valid, typically after a fixed period of time.
- Unless Sam unexpectedly and benevolently decides to do otherwise, the following codes will remain expired (adj: invalid) indefinitely. No comments (etc.) placed on this wiki will persuade him otherwise.
v5.0 - v5.1
v3.8.1 - v3.9
Bug Catcher Avatar:
- Victini's Mystery Gift code is the only code that is identical to the date of its release (11-26-2011). It is also Sam's Birthday. However, the Gastly avatar was supposed to have 10312011 (10-31-2011), but Sam put 11312011 (11-31-2011).
- Sam's birthday mystery gift could have been Jirachi, Shaymin, Celebi, or Victini (Version 5.0), but Victini was chosen for this gift.
- On 12/13/2011, if you had a Delibird Costume on you couldn't enter the Avatar Chat; this is because Avatar Chat needs to be updated with every new avatar.
- Tangela's mystery code was originally "114", which is its Pokedex number.
- The mystery gift will no longer change weekly; it will stay on normal Missingno untill further notice.