Sam is the game version of the real-life person, Samuel Otero, who created Pokémon Tower Defense. Even by in-game characters, he is acknowledged as the game creator.
- Rocket Hideout
- Sam first appears at the Rocket Hideout, encountering you where he gives you the Silph Scopes and he lets you train with his Pokémon. His team is comprised of two shiny versions of each fully evolved Pokémon that was available when the level was published. Because of the level cap at the time, the final two Pokémon were Shiny Dragonair instead of Dragonite.
- Poke Tower 1
- In Poke Tower 1 Sam congratulates you and puts off all of your questions, telling you to wait for them to be answered. He also encounters Joey, who asks him questions that have already been asked; he says that they too will be answered later, such as whether or not Pokémon from the Johto region will appear. Then he gives you Super Potion.
- Viridian City
- Viridian Ending
- The sprite for Sam was actually made by a fan named Mario18010 from Twitter, also known as Justin or Mewgikarp from the main forum. The original is slightly different.
- The sprite is actually an edited version of Professor Elm's sprite.
- In the game, Sam's Pokémon are all shinies. And after the battle he states that he spends a lot of time trading.
- All shiny Pokémon are using non-fainting user moves except Electrode, which uses the move Selfdestruct. However, Electrode doesn't faint.